How To Get Rid Of A Stiff Neck (Top 10 remedies)
Have you ever get too involved in reading an exceptionally interesting book for too long?
Then you beat your head against a wall looking for a cure for the stiff neck? Sounds familiar?
One of the most irritating and uncomfortable disorder is neck pain or a stiff neck . It affects us all at a similar point in life.
Don’t worry if you are looking for ways on how to get rid of a stiff neck; then you are at a right place.
A stiff neck is caused by soreness and difficulty moving the neck, mainly when trying to turn the head to the side. It is also caused by pain in the arms, headache or shoulder pain.
In this article, we will show you top 10 tips on how to get rid of a stiff neck fast and more efficiently at home.
This article is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor if this disorder is not reduced after a few weeks.
What are the Causes of a Stiff Neck?
The most common problems of stiff neck are given below:-
- Sleeping in an inconvenient position, straining the neck muscles in the system
- Injuries like sports-related and others that also strain the neck muscles
- Regularly taking part in any action that needs the head and neck to be moved from one side to another
- Poor postures, such as sitting in front of the computer monitor or television screen (Source)
- Holding the neck in a bad position for a long time
- Over stress, leading to tension in the muscles
- A sudden shake in the neck during an accident or while playing sports
What are the Symptoms of a Stiff Neck?
The symptoms of a stiff neck are as follows:-
- Pain in the shoulders, neck and upper back
- Muscle spasm in the muscles of the upper back
- Pain in the neck and stiffness in the shoulder may be a symptom of stiff neck
- It may also be occurred by a steady pain in the shoulder
- A headache may rarely cause a stiff neck
- Pain in the neck every time it is held at a particular angle
- Inability to move the neck or head to either side
Is Stiff-Neck a Serious Disorder?
No, Stiff-Neck is not a very serious disorder. It happens normally, and it happens to every human at least once in the lifetime. So what to do for a stiff neck?
It is required to be corrected very soon as it leads to acute pain, makes you irritable, you cannot do your work rightly, you never feel energetic and active. So, there is a need to heal it as soon as possible.
When to See a Doctor for a Stiff Neck?
If a stiff neck has not shown advancement after a week, it should be examined by a doctor.
Moreover, regardless of how long it has lasted, a stiff neck caused by any red flag symptoms—such as a headache, fever, nausea or vomiting, or unexplained sleepiness—should be seen by a medical expert immediately.
How To Get Rid Of A Stiff Neck - stiff neck remedies?
There is a range of remedies and treatments for stiffness in the neck and exercises to cure a neck ache.
The following are a few of the natural ways to relax a stiff neck or get rid of a pain in the neck:-
It is a very effective and relaxing remedy for the stiffed neck. Massage assists in relaxing the muscles and improve the circulation of blood in the body.
What you need: Any oil or cream like pine, rosemary, lavender, etc.
How to perform:
- Take a shower or bath with hot water (Bath relaxes you)
- Heat the oil that you have taken for the massage
- Use this warm oil over the stiffed neck
- Slowly massage over the complete neck mainly where it is straining
- If needed, you can take the help of a professional therapist or any friend
This massage is very helpful beneficial for healing the strain of stiffed neck.
Cold compresses are a simple remedy and commonly used by many people in reducing conditions like infection, swelling, and stiff neck.
Indeed, cold compresses will decrease the lactic acid growth, lower the numbness, and reduce soreness very well.
This therapy also aids you to get rid of the neck stiffness effectively and fast at home.
How to apply:
- At first, take some ice cubes
- Use a thin towel to wrap them
- Leave the compress on your neck for 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat remedy every 2 hours for two days
- You also can replace a frozen bag in replace of using ice cubes
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant attributes that help treat a stiff neck.
Besides, it can help to stop muscle strain and pain related to nutrient insufficiency.
- Dip a paper napkin in some apple cider vinegar
- Then place it on your neck
- Keep it for a few hours
- Apply this remedy 2 times a day
This is a beneficial remedy for a stiff neck.
- Instead, take 2 cups of ACV
- Pour it in a bathtub filled with warm water
- Dip your body in it for 10-15 minutes
- Do this every day until you see improvement
Peppermint oil can alleviate the muscle stiffness effectually due to its analgesic effects.
This oil also alleviates pain and discomfort from neck stiffness. How to get rid of a stiff neck fast with peppermint oil?
Here is the process: Peppermint oil has menthol that aids calm stiff muscles in the neck.
- Take 2 teaspoons of olive oil and place it in the microwave for a few seconds
- Mix some drops of peppermint essential oil to it
- Slowly massage your neck with this warm oil
- Apply this remedy 2 times for a few days
- Instead, add 2 drops of peppermint oil to a big bowl of cold water
- Dip a washcloth in the water
- Then place it on the stiff neck for 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat as needed
Note: Peppermint oil is not perfect for children or those who have responded to the skin.
Epsom salt is built with a compound including magnesium sulfate that can alleviate neck stiffness very well. T
his compound can control the enzymes in your body and improve circulation fast.
Additionally, Epsom salt can relieve stress and muscle tensions as well.
How to perform:
- Add a few drops of Epsom salt in warm water
- Dip in the warm bathwater for 15-20 minutes
- Apply this 3 times per week
- Warning: you should not use this remedy if you get diabetes or kidney disorders
The other effective and simple remedy for a stiff neck is cayenne pepper. It has capsaicin, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce pain and inflammation very well.
How to get rid of a stiff neck with cayenne pepper is the given below:
- Take some tablespoons of warm olive oil
- Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with oil and mix them
- Use the mixture in the affected region
- Use a bandage to cover it
- Leave it there for some hours
- Do this remedy for a few days
- You can massage your stiff neck with some cream or lotion that has cayenne or capsaicin pepper.
- You can also add cayenne pepper into everyday dishes to have a fast recovery
Turmeric is very effective for relieving pain and discomfort from a stiff neck. It has an anti-inflammatory property which helps to reduce stiff neck.
This component also helps you increase blood circulation very well. Here are a few ways to use turmeric to get rid of a stiff neck at home:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Mix it into a glass of milk
- Heat it for 5 minutes
- Cool it naturally
- Add some honey to drink 2 times a day
- Do it for several days
- You may take turmeric as capsule form after consulting your doctor.
- Add turmeric into your daily diet
If you want to reduce a stiff neck fast at home, you should make a homemade analgesic which helps to reduce the neck pain.
It is really easy; you can ready some peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, beeswax, and coconut oil.
- Take some tablespoons of coconut oil with a tablespoon of beeswax
- Pour the mixture into a pot and heat it
- Mix a few drops of peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil
- Then Cool it naturally
- Apply the mixture on the neck to get rid of the pain
- Store the rest of mixture in a container for the future use
Lavender is a medicinal herb that you can take benefit of its oil and the flowers to make medicine.
This herb is applied for healing depression, insomnia, nervousness, upset stomach, restlessness, nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, etc.
Some people also apply lavender for acne, headache, joint pain, sores, toothaches, sprains, menstruation, and so on. For this reason, lavender oil can be utilized to relieve neck pain.
The method is:
- Warm some lavender oil
- Use it on the affected area
- Massage it slowly it every day for a few days to reduce the problem naturally
Like lavender, ginger is an also an important herb that is available in every kitchen. This herb can be in the dried, powdered, and fresh form.
Usually, ginger is utilized to treat stomach disorders including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, colic, morning sickness, upset stomach, appetite loss.
Also, ginger is very effective in treating cough, bronchitis, menstrual pain, arthritis, muscle soreness, burns, etc.
For treating a stiff neck, you can take ginger juice, ginger tea to reduce soreness, inflammation, pain.
You also can massage some ginger oil on the pain; massage the stiff neck to relieve the discomfort fast.
After revising the articles about 10 ways on how to get rid of a stiff neck, I hope that you have got some beneficial solutions for treating the disorder fast and efficiently at home.
They are safe and simple to follow because these remedies are natural. As a result, you can do it every day at home.
Nevertheless, for taking supplements, you should consult with a doctor before having them.
Feel free to question us, and we will make sure to answer your questions as soon as possible.
If you get all the queries that have in your mind and you find this article helpful, then try to share it with your friends as I am sure that they would love to read about it.
If you find any problem or any mistake in the article, then make sure to contact us or leave your comment below.