Tips On How To Get Rid Of A Swollen Lip Fast
Have you ever found your lip is swollen? It maybe your upper lip or bottom lip or maybe a piece of one of your lips, but it has become uncommonly swollen.
Lips are one of the most significant features of the face. Everyone loves to have a sweet and sexy lip.
No one wants to have a swollen lip because it looks ugly, painful and embarrassing. In this guide, we will discuss ways on how to get rid of a swollen lip fast.
I will also explain here how this particular problem can be treated at home by using basic types of home remedies.
These remedies are very safe and work extremely well without any side effects. So please continue reading this article….
What are the Causes of Swollen Lips?
Swollen lips mean the puffiness up of the skin throughout the lips. Their look is not only big but also cartoon like. (Source)
Though swelling may occur due to any trauma to the soft tissue, there are many other reasons for swollen lips. Below here are the common reasons:
- Extreme climatic conditions
- Bad lip care products
- Insect bite
- Allergic reaction to a food product
- Injury or cut
- Viral infection
- Nutritional deficiencies
Most of the times, swollen lips are occurred by cuts and bleeding too, which makes it tough for a person to drink, eat or talk properly.
What are the Symptoms of Swollen Lips?
There are also a few symptoms are given below:
- Watery eyes
- Blisters on the skin
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Swelling of the lips
How to Get Rid of a Swollen Lip Fast – Top 10 Natural Remedies?
There are several ways on how to get rid of a swollen lip fast using home remedies.
However, chemical treated products also have some harmful side-effects as well. The safest and best way to deal with swollen lips is to use natural home remedies.
Even though it needs your patience, it is more effective for your swollen lip. Here are top 10 natural remedies on how to get rid of a fat lip:
Applying the hot compress helps in increasing the blood circulation to the lips, thereby reducing the blood’s accumulation in the swollen region.
It also helps in calming the swelling caused by lip piercing, oral cuts or herpes.
How to get rid of a swollen lip fast with the hot compress treatment? Follow the steps how to apply this remedy:
What do you need?
- 1 bowl of warm water
- 1 washcloth or heating pad
- Firstly take a washcloth and dip it in a bowl of warm water
- Remove the extra water by pressing the cloth
- Then, apply it on the swollen lips
- Leave it for 8 to 10 minutes
- Repeat this remedy after around half an hour
- Instead, you can take a heating pad
- Then apply it to the swollen lips to reduce the inflammation and pain
Aloe vera is one of the best remedies for all kinds of skin disorders. It is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic and can cure your swollen lips.
It may even reduce any burning or itching sensation. Follow this steps how to apply this remedy:
- Extract aloe vera gel from the leaves
- Massage the gel all over the lips
- Let it leave there absorb it
- Repeat this remedy until it reduces completely
- You can also apply the ready made available aloe vera gel for this aim
Honey has long been familiar with its remedial features. The one quality that stands out is its cooling and anti-bacterial nature, which can help regenerate your skin.
How to use:
- Apply honey to the swollen lips directly
- Gently massage it to the affected area
- Leave it for 20 to 25 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Repeat the method several times in a day for useful remedial
Salt is known as a natural disinfectant which kills bacteria and germs that cause infection in the cuts.
If you have swollen lip which is occurred by some types of cut, simply go to your kitchen and take some salt. So, use this remedy the best choice to get rid of swollen lip.
- At first, take a tablespoon of salt into a cup of warm water
- Then stir well
- Next, soak a cotton ball in this salt water solution
- Finally, massage it on your swollen lips for a while
- Repeat these remedy once or twice a day until you get your desired result
Note: Firstly, you will get a burning feeling; however, this treatment is very useful in bringing the swelling down along with curing the cut.
Baking soda is most effective suggestions for you when you want to get rid of swollen lip.
It is regularly recommended for those who have swollen lip occurred by an insect bite, a fever blister, and an allergic reaction.
Baking soda can help to cure pain and inflammation. Just follow the steps given below to use this remedy to treat the swollen lips:
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda in bowl water
- Mix it well and make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area immediately
- Leave it there for 10 – 15 minutes
- Wash it off to reduce the swelling
- Ensure to check your skin’s responsiveness to it before applying
Black tea has constituents familiar as tannins, which have very good astringent features that can decrease swelling in the smooth tissues of the lips.
- Dip a black tea bag in warm water
- Leave it there for 10 minutes
- Keep it in the water and allow it to cool
- Apply it slowly over the swollen lip for 10 minutes
- Repeat this remedy for a few times a day for fast results
Turmeric is such an herb for all types of skin disorders. This does more than simply increasing the taste of your food.
It has proven its effectiveness and found itself at the forefront of Ayurveda. Turmeric has healing qualities, including being anti-inflammatory.
Follow the procedures:
- Take a small portion of turmeric powder in a cup
- Mix the powder with cold water
- Stir it well and create a paste-like solution
- Apply this solution directly on the affected area
- Let it dry the paste
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Apply this remedy twice a day for an effective remedy
When we are considering the ways on how to get rid of the puffy lips, tea tree oil is also recommended.
It is thought as a necessary remedy for swollen lip which is occurred by a cut due to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Follow the procedure:
- At first, dilute a little tea tree oil with a few carrier oil
- You can utilize coconut oil or olive oil
- Then apply this mixture of oil on your swollen lip
- Next, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour
- Finally, wash off your lip with water
- Apply this medication a few times a day until you notice positive result
Note: children should not use tea tree oil. You should not apply tea tree oil pure concentration. And if you have irritation, you need to use cold water to wash the affected area urgently.
Coconut oil can reduce the swelling on your lips due to its anti-inflammatory features.
Moreover, the oil can offer one calming effect to your lips. Here is the process that shows you on how to get rid of swollen lip with coconut oil:
How to apply it for lips swelling:
- At first, take 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Apply it on the swollen lips
- Leave it there for 3 to 4 times per day
- It will help decrease the swelling and soothe the lips
- Besides, it aids to reduce the pain
Witch hazel has the power to reduce swollen lips caused due to cuts.
Witch hazel is packed with astringent properties, and it can soothe the inflammation, pain, and swelling related to swollen lips.
Its astringent also aids to disinfect and clean the surface of the skin. Here is how to heal a bitten lip with the witch hazel remedy:
What you need:
- 1 tbsp. Of witch hazel
- 1 ½ tbsp. of salt
- Cold water
Follow the procedure:
- At first, you just need to mix the witch hazel with salt
- Then apply on your affected area with this ready-made mixture
- Leave it there for 30 minutes
- Rinsing it off with the cold water
- Repeat this remedy regularly on the affected area until you see the improvement
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties so that it can soothe the pain caused by swollen lips. Besides, you should take ginger tea and mix it with your dishes to stop the lip infections.
- Oranges are packed with vitamin, and it can help in repairing the lip’s tissues and reduce inflammation. Besides, it is recommended to include oranges and other vitamin C-rich foods in your diet.
- Stay away from licking your lips as it can worsen this disorder.
- You can apply lip balm or Vaseline to treat a swollen lip as it moisturizes the lips and lowers the swelling. Keep in mind to use the lip balm without artificial colors or flavors.
- Dry and dehydrated lips can cause swollen lips so that you should take enough water daily because water can aid to retain moisture. You can also apply a few vitamin E oil daily before hitting the bed to stop dryness and chapping.
- You can apply an antihistamine like Benadryl as it lowers the swelling and soothes the swollen upper lip.
- Check the foods causing swollen lips and avoid them.
- Using arnica oil or castor oil on your swollen lips will reduce the lips’ swelling.
- Taking nutritional food and maintaining accurate hygiene can help in reducing swollen lips. You can also add foods which are filled with vitamin A and B to keep the swollen lips at bay.
- Lip swelling can be occurred by some chemicals in cosmetics so that you need to see the products leading to the disorder of swollen lips and staying away from applying them.
The above mentioned 10 remedies for how to get rid of a swollen lip fast and naturally at home that are very useful in reducing this skin disorder that we would like to show you in this article.
If all the above swollen lip remedies do not yield results and the situation seems to worsen, you should think about consulting with a doctor.
Moreover, in case of a acute case that affects breathing, eating or talking and it spreads beyond the swollen lip, see you doctor.
Do you want to try one of these remedies stated above? If you did, please share with us your result and experience you got after applying it to remove swollen lip by mentioning here.
Your experience might be worthy for us.