Best Abscessed Tooth Home Remedies – Top 10 Proven Ways
An abscessed tooth can be caused by infections between a tooth and gums or at the root of the tooth. Most of us suffered from this common tooth concern.
What Is an Abscess Tooth?
You aren't 100% sure what that word means. But for the fact, you are sure that you are in pain, and the meaning of that word can't be good.
Typically caused by heavy tooth decay, gum disease or, trauma an abscessed tooth is a painful infection.
It seems to be a common term used to describe an infection at the root of the tooth or in between the tooth and the gum. When a tooth becomes abscessed, pus (which is the sign of an infection) develops within the infected tooth.
In most cases, this infection starts to eat away at the bone. If left untreated, this problem can finally cause huge problems like sinusitis (which are infected sinuses) or facial disfigurement.
Are you suffering from this disorder? In this article, I will explain here top 10 natural home remedies for abscess tooth. So read this article at the end and let’s have a happy smile with your shining teeth.
What is an Abscessed Tooth?
Having an abscessed tooth is not a matter of fun. They are quite painful and can have some severe effects if you wait too long to have it treated, or leave it untreated completely.
It is stated earlier that Abscess Tooth is an infection of the mouth and over 200,000 people suffer from an abscessed tooth in the nation every year.
An abscess can grow comparatively quickly- within a few days. There are two types of abscess given below:
Periodontal (gum) Abscess
Periodontal abscess is such an infection between the tooth and gum. In most cases, a periodontal abscess happens due to an infection that is already present in the gums. Or it happens due to poor cleaning of the space between the teeth and gums.
Periapical (tooth) Abscess
Periapical abscess is such an infection inside the tooth-first beginning from the root of the tooth and spreading into the bone.
A periapical abscess happens when the root of a tooth is dead or dying, and spreads to the bone nearby the area.
What are the Causes of Abcessed Tooth?
There are some causes of an abscessed tooth that I’ve mentioned below.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Weak immune system
- Gum disease
- Increased intake of carbohydrates
- Dental infection
- Consuming sticky food in large quantities
- Cracked or chipped tooth
- Taking diets rich in sugary foods
What are the Symptoms of Abscess Tooth?
Here, I’m going to share some of the common symptoms associated with the abscessed tooth. There have many signs that you have an infection on the tooth.
When you are infected on the tooth, you will understand by following these symptoms that I mentioned below.
- Sensitivity to cold or hot food
- Have a problem when opening the mouth
- Bad Breath
- Oral discomfort
- A constant and severe toothache
- Pain that spreads to the neck, ear,
- Jaw on the side of affected tooth
- Swollen lymph nodes below your jaw
- Discolored to the tooth
- Foul tasting fluid in your mouth
- Swelling and redness in your face and jaw
- Pain while chewing
Tooth abscess should be healed as soon as possible because it has the chance to spread to your jaws and other surfaces of your head and neck.
It can also cause excellent tooth decay if left untreated.
Occasionally, it might also result in a life-threatening problem. If you are feeling any of the symptoms, then it is time to discuss with the dentist and get treatment for it right away.
There are many advance treatment for an abscessed tooth. If you are in a severe situation, then my advice take dental treatment immediately.
In primary level, You can use some affordable and effective home remedies for an abscessed tooth. Natural remedies will help you to treat the infected gums.
Home remedy is a natural treatment with natural ingredients. It’s safe to use because it’s don’t cause any side effects.
So, If you are a health concern person, then home remedies is the best choice.
What are the Best Home Remedies for Infected Tooth?
The following are the simple and easy home remedies for infected tooth that will assist you to get an answer to how to treat abscessed tooth problems.
These are effective and natural home remedies that will not have any side effects at all.
1. Baking Soda And Salt for tooth abscess treatment
Baking soda is known as the key ingredients that are utilized in some natural home remedies for abscess tooth. Baking soda has the pH balancing component. (Source)
So, when you use baking soda, it will balance the saliva pH level in your mouth. This makes the bacteria powerless to thrive in your mouth.
Moreover, baking soda, when applied in your mouth, helps in draining abscess naturally thanks as it can act as a mechanical cleanser.
- A damp cotton ball
- Salt – half a teaspoon
- Baking soda – half a teaspoon
- Firstly, add baking soda with salt in a bowl
- Then, dip this damp cotton ball into the bowl
- Place it on the affected area
- Then it on for 3 to 5 hours
- You should repeat this easy way daily to treat this disorder
- The other choice, you can take baking soda
- Then use it directly to the abscessed tooth
- Use 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- With baking soda, you can also brush your teeth
- Mix water including baking soda to make a paste
- Then use this paste directly to your abscess tooth
2. Garlic is potent on how to get rid of an abscess
Garlic is a very powerful natural ingredient, and it helps to kill the bacteria fast. It has potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that will help in preventing the bacteria growth due to an abscessed tooth.
It is full of sulfur compounds, like allicin that will assist in fighting infection and inflammation.
- Paste one or two pieces of garlic clove
- Then extract the juice inside
- Use this juice with your fingers on the abscessed tooth
- Keep it there for a while as it can help in alleviating infection and pain
- You can chew one or two pieces of garlic
- If you feel pain lessening slightly, chew one piece of garlic
- You can also blend garlic juice extract with water
- Wash your mouth and teeth with this juice
- Apply it 3 to 4 times in a day to feel a lessening of tooth pain
3. Warm Salt Water for abscessed tooth treatment
Salt contains disinfectant and antimicrobial properties which not only help to fight against bacteria but also lessen inflammation, pain and other discomforts caused by a tooth abscess.
Warm salt water also assists in draining the pus and stopping infection from spreading to other parts of the mouth. For this method, you can either utilize Epsom salt, regular salt or unrefined sea salt.
- Take a glass of warm water and add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Attire it well until the salt gets fully diluted
- Wash your mouth with the solution
- Repeat this method at least 2 times in a day
4. Potato works well for abscess on tooth
The potato with an alkaline nature has an antiseptic properties effect on the infection. The potato pulp full of acidic property sloughs off the infected material and dead skin cells.
Potassium found in potato plays a major role in speeding up the healing procedure.
Even though no scientific studies are backing up the claim, plenty of people got relief from the tooth abscess applying the following potato remedy.
- Put a raw potato slice into the infected area
- Cheek before going to sleep
- Keep it overnight and remove in the morning
- Wash with water thoroughly
- Follow this system regularly as needed
5. Turmeric for abscess tooth relief
Turmeric is another powerful natural ingredient that is rich in antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is one of the best remedies to ease pain caused due to tooth abscesses. It will also help in decreasing inflammation in the mouth.
- Take a glass of lukewarm water
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of salt
- Mix them well and make a solution
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly
- Then swish this solution in your mouth
- Apply this technique daily for a few days to get relief from tooth pain and infection
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder into a small bowl
- Then sufficient water to make a smooth turmeric paste
- Wash your mouth thoroughly
- Then implement this paste with your finger on the affected area
- You may use a cotton ball to apply this mixture on the affected tooth
- Repeat this procedure daily for a few days until the pain vanishes
- Take a teaspoon of oil and mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Slowly apply this mixture on the affected area
- Keep it there for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash your mouth thoroughly.
- You will get relief from swelling and tooth pain
6. Black Tea Bag: home remedy for tooth abscess
A black tea bag is one significant home remedy works well for an abscessed tooth. It contains tannins that help reduce inflammation and pain.
Moreover, it has antioxidants too that help fight infection and develop good oral health.
- Put a black tea bag in warm water
- Keep it for a few minutes
- Leave it overnight
- Wash your mouth with a warm salt-water suspension
- Apply this method once daily for a few of weeks
- After removing from the water, rub it out and keep the tea bag in the affected area
7. Oregano Oil: tooth abscess home remedy
Oregano oil has antioxidant and antibacterial properties, making it a better remedy for an abscessed tooth. It also increases immunity and assists the body in fighting tooth infections and improving the healing process.
- Add a few drops of oregano oil directly on the affected area
- Leave it for at least 15 minutes
- Combine 3 to 5 drops of oregano oil in a ¼ cup of warm water to make a mouth wash
- Swish this mix in your mouth for about 10 minutes
- Then spit it out thoroughly
- Apply these remedies 3 or 4 times a day
8. Olive Oil: Best tooth infection home remedy
When it comes to abscess tooth home remedies, don’t forget olive oil for abscess tooth infection and swelling. Olive oil can eliminate the inflammation and pain related to an abscessed tooth.
Olive oil has a unique component named eugenol, which kills the bacteria. The anti -bacterial property helps in faster healing of the sore.
How to use
- First of all, take a few drop of olive oil in a bowl
- Then, apply a cotton ball and dip it well
- Apply this ball to the affected area
- Leave it for a few minutes
- Apply this simple way regularly when needed
9. Sesame Seeds: Tooth infection remedy
Sesame seeds are useful in treating tooth abscess as they have antibacterial properties. They also assist in reducing inflammation and pain. (Source)
- Take a cup of water to boil
- Then mix 4 teaspoons of sesame seeds into the water
- Boil gently simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from the flame
- Let it cool down to room temperature
- Using a cotton ball and apply the mixture on the affected tooth
- Use the application daily or as required
10. Peppermint for tooth abscess home treatment
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in peppermint help to reduce pain and inflammation caused by an abscessed tooth. It prevents the infection from spreading in your mouth.
Moreover, peppermint oil also has antiseptic properties that help in killing the bacteria to treat your abscessed tooth. Besides the oil, the peppermint leaves are also great for this disorder.
- Massage a few drops of peppermint oil on the affected tooth
- Using your fingertips for a few minutes to massage
- Additionally, extract fresh peppermint juice from the leaves
- Apply it on the affected tooth
11. Salt Water Remedy For Abscess Tooth
This is the easiest and affordable remedy for treating the abscessed tooth.
We know that Salt water can kill bacteria and it’s scientifically proved.
So, for oral health concern, doctor advice is to use salt with water.
Now, You can try this remedy and get rid of the tooth pain overnight.
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- water – 1 Cup
- Firstly, Add 1 Cup of water into the pot and place it over low heat.
- Wait until the water becomes a little warm.
- Now, the water feels warm, and you can take off the heat.
- Add 1 Tsp of Sea Salt into the water and mix it correctly.
- Now sip the salt water and keep it in the mouth for 1- 15 secs then spit it out.
- Repeat this process for 4 -5 times in a day
- Continue this process for next 2 – 3 days or till there is no pain in the infected gums.
After reviewing this article about top 10 natural remedies for abscessed tooth swelling and infection, I hope that you have experienced here some useful techniques, to get rid of the dental problems naturally at home.
This article is only for informational purpose. It is better to have a contact with the doctor if you cannot get a better effect from those home remedies for abscess.
Feel free to question us, and we will make sure to answer your questions as soon as possible.
If you get all the queries that have in your mind and you find this article helpful, then try to share it with your friends as I am sure that they would love to read about it.